Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Magic is real.

No, not the witchy spell kind. The feeling.

Yesterday was a beautiful Fall day right in the beginning of summer. It was overcast and gray, and chilly enough to need long sleeves. I love those kinds of days, when it threatens to rain and you're never quite sure when it's going to hit.
I spent the morning napping and finally woke up to my husband playing around on the computer. I decided errands were paramount, so we took off for the better part of the day enrolling me in school, shopping at the Farmers Market, lunching and spending time together.
After a delicious bath I started to get ready for the shoot. The TV shoot. The one where I play headmistress of a school and more importantly, the devil herself.
I fill my bag with all the requirements. Velvet corset, leather skirt, black stockings, knee high leather boots, a whip and of course devil horns.
My 45 minute trek was peaceful, as I listened to Tori Amos and the smell of my Vampire Lestat perfume oil filled the car with reminders of adolescent adventures. I arrived at the shoot in Pontiac and walked into the haunted house. As if it didn't feel like Fall already I was getting a sneak peek into this four story attraction that is being readied for Halloween - the most holiest of holidays.
I am immediately sat in a make up chair where, for the better part of an hour, I sit and think about the magic going on. It's a feeling. A desire for adventure. And I am here in the whirlwind of makeup and line readings and werewolves and witch doctors and laughter.
They're ready for me unusually early this time and I peel myself out of that chair at last. I'm amazed at the way I look, at the transformation the artists has done. I was unaware that I could look that way.
Now the best part. The costume. First comes the stockings, then the boots followed by the skirt and finally the corset. My hair is pinned up, my horns are set in place and I am ready to be on set.
It's warm. I am being oggled at first entrance. Complimented and clearly lusted after. I may not agree with everything these men think, but I still know what they're thinking. A girl is tied up in a chair on the set. Shes dressed in a school girl uniform and her arms are bound. A whip hands around my neck, a pair of plyers in my hands. We roll. I do the whole thing in one take, and exit to applaud.

I sneak into my house, take off my makeup and tip toe into my bedroom. My sweet husband kisses me and tells me that he loves me while snuggeling up to me. I fall asleep next to him, completley confident in his abilities to take care of our daughter when I am away. I am happy and complete.

This is magic. This is life. This is what it means to actually FEEL alive, not just BE alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment