Friday, June 5, 2009

What is this thing called wedding?

I sat down to a nice dinner tonight having decided to watch TV while I eat. I don't watch much TV. In fact, if it were not for Willow I would almost never turn the thing on. As I was scanning the channels for something awesome or ridiculous I ran across the most awesomley ridiculous show ever called "Whose wedding is it anyway?" I was pretty sure I knew that answer would be a rich bitch bride, and I was right.

All this TV watching was thought provoking or rather thought remembering. "Oh yea", I said to myself between bits of tofu and potato "I hate this shit." But let me tell you why.

I am not one for tradition because most tradition is laced with horror stories of things I would rather not take part in and what is not horrific is not significant There I said it. My issues begin with the institution itself, but if you have two people who are on the same page about this I can agree that you should reap some governmental rewards. Fine, I'm over it.

What I don't understand is why brides obsess over this and that and every god damned little thing right down to hair. I don't understand why people struggle to spend thousands of dollars for such bullshit, and even if they don't struggle to pay for it they have loads of stress - and all to present an appearance to people who will undoubtedly forget about all of it.*Open bars make you do that*

If I had the money to put on a grand event for my friends I would be happy to do so. I'd pay someone to plan it and not care a wit about what happened next. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to do this so I'm fucking off and doing my own thing. OUR own thing. Because getting married isn't just about the bride, it's about the couple and I'm so tired of the emphasis on the woman. If this is not equally about these two people than what is going on in the world?!?!

My wedding day (taking places two weeks from today) is going to be a culmination of immense love and joy, and a further banishing of a pain that I have worked so hard to heal. This is why my marriage is important. If I had to marry this man wearing a potato sack and standing in the middle of a mud puddle my joy would be no less and unfortunately I have to question if most women would agree to also marry their partners in such a way if they had to.
It's great I don't have to do that because I can enjoy the day as a well rounded experience with family and friends - but I would do that.

What are in peoples hearts when they stand hand in hand at the altar? (or proscenium...)

Ya know what's going to be in mine?

"I've already committed to this man. He looks so handsome....oh Dean is funny in that hat....my moms looks cute in that outfit....I want a scone.....let me say my vows real quick....okay, that's over...cool..oooo yea a kiss! score!......can I go to Florida now?"

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that's pretty much the dillio. And the potato sack and the mud? That's for AFTER the wedding! Nobody's bidnis but me and my baby!

    ReplyDelete